Maryel's Piano Story

Well I hope I’m in the right place and doing the right thing, because I am definitely a novice at this techno stuff :slight_smile:

My piano story, such that it is began, as Ren’s did at my Grandma’s house.
Grandma always played the piano at her house with my cousins accompanying her on their guitars. She was just magical to me, she could pick up anything the girls were playing, no matter how modern. My Grandma was born in the late 1800’s so she was always old to me and for her to play modern (at the time) stuff was astounding to a little girl.
I found out much later that she was among a very few Australians to study by correspondence at the London School of Music (not sure what it would be called now) and graduate with honours.
My Mum, who also played really well, could read music and play by ear, (again I recently discovered she only had a year of lessons at primary school). I continued to put it on the back burner, knowing I would get to it when I was older. I lost a couple of friends to cancer and the one thing they wanted to do and did manage to do in their last years was to take piano lessons.
“I’ll get to it when I’m older” I continued to tell myself. Then I was the one who got sick and I spent time pondering the “when I’m older” moments. What if I didn’t get older? Time to act.
Years later one of my brothers remarked on these videos he’s stumbled upon, I had a look, and that was it. Andrew Furmanczyk was the teacher that was going to help me make that particular dream come true.
I am living that dream, and many others. I am forever grateful to my Grandma, Mum, my brother, Andrew, God and my new friends on Piano Planet (probably not necessarily in that order :D) for helping me live it.

9 Likes

Oooooo, your grandmother and mother sound amazing! I’m so glad they and others led you to piano and to us! :heartpulse:

Thanks for sharing your story!!!

3 Likes

Not as happy as me!!! :smiley:

3 Likes

Lovely story @Maryel. Grandma’s house sounds like great fun​:grinning:. Explains your natural talent! :+1:

3 Likes

Ha Ha! You’re funny Des! :smiley:

2 Likes