Melissa's Piano Story

Hi Everyone! I’m Melissa (aka Mel K on the Discord). :slight_smile:

So my musical journey started a long time ago when I was in 6th grade and joined my school’s Choir. I sand Choir from 6th grade all the way through my 4th year of college. Music has always been my passion, though I always looked at music through a vocalist mindset versus an instrumentalist (though I always respected them to fullest).

After graduating college I became a lead singer in a local band and started really growing an interest in wanting to play an instrument. With that being said, I worked on learning and playing guitar, and then started combining my love of poetry and lyrics with my musical tastes and knowledge and started songwriting. It has been a blast, but I realized when creating my own melodies that I still have a lot to learn. Also while being in my local music community I have met and perfomed with some truly incredible musicians, and one in particular who has me awestruck every time he plays is a pianist. We perform in a TSO (Trans-Siberian Orchestra) band together during the holidays and since being with that group, I have realized truly how much a piano can carry not only a song, but en entire show. It’s really amazing! We always call him the “backbone” of our show, and his title is well deserved! Honestly TSO’s music is the first set of songs that really made me notice the piano parts and how awesome they can really be.

While I have loved playing rhythm guitar, I have always felt like I just cannot get the type of sound that I want due to my limited knowledge. Then during quarantine it hit me that some of my all-time favorite songs are piano based, and that I should maybe pursue learning piano while I have the time. So I downloaded an app and the first group of videos in the app were Andrew’s. I then checked out and subscribed to his YouTube channel, and have since downloaded the Piano Planet app and joined the great discord community. I’m now working my way through his videos and truly loving it so far. I’m also a mother of two little ones, so having time (or money) to sit down with an actual teacher would just be really hard for me to pull off right now. So, Andrew and this discord is really a saving grace in helping me pursue my new dream.

I’m hoping to one day be able to play the songs that have led me to my desire to learn, as well as further my own abilities in music theory and songwriting. Also I’d love to have the ability and knowledge to teach singing, but without music theory and piano skills I just can’t see that happening. So fingers crossed for the future! Lol!

Anyway, I’m so happy to be a part of such an awesome community. Thank you all for reading and for the continued support and encouragement! :heart:

7 Likes

Wonderful story, Melissa!! Thanks for sharing! And we’ll DEFINITELY need to you to sing for us sometime! :grin:

2 Likes

Wow such a nice and humble story! Hope you achieve your dreams, Mel :heart: :cherry_blossom:

1 Like

Thanks so much, Ren! :slightly_smiling_face::heart:

1 Like

Thank you, Oofnan! :slightly_smiling_face::slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like