Performance Club Wrap-Up, February 2nd 2021 - Arthur Rubinstein and a bit about Liszt

We found performances club’s moto: Don’t perform something that doesn’t speak to you, for you aren’t being fair to yourself, the piece or the audience -Mel K

Hey guys I made a playlist, I think this is a fun thing to try out. If you have a Liszt piece you’d like to add - put it in!

Last weeks homework:
Kannuku Mai Azhagu - Netru Illatha Matram | A.R. Rahman | Piano Cover - YouTube
Threads of Love | Lorie Line - YouTube

Arthur Rubinstein

“I have found that if you love life, life will love you back.”

Born in Lodz, Poland, in 1887 died in 1982, Arthur Rubinstein became one of the great pianists of the twentieth century. At age three, Rubinstein began to study piano, and within five years he had given his first public performance. Rubinstein was seven when he made his first public appearance, and he made his European debut in Berlin at 13.
During [World War I] Rubinstein, who was fluent in eight languages, served as a military interpreter in London
in 1932 he married Aniela Młynarski and she began to seriously analyze his artistry.

He renewed his dedication to music, practiced 12 to 16 hours a day, and brought a new discipline to his already brilliant technique. When he got married he also grew up a bit. when he returned once again to the United States in 1937 and performed at Carnegie Hall, he was hailed as a genius.

But sadly At the age of eighty-three he finished his biography called MY MANY YEARS, and six years later left his wife for another woman. Yeah at 89 years old he left his wife.

Rubinstein was considered a master interpreter of Chopin’s work. Despite his age and failing health, Rubinstein continued to perform throughout his seventies and eighties. Even after going blind, he traveled the world lecturing and teaching.

About Liszt

Franz Liszt invented the symphonic poem for orchestra, A symphonic poem is orchestral music, which illustrates or evokes the content of a poem, short story, landscape.

“Mazeppa, S. 100 tells the story of Ivan Mazeppa, who seduced a noble Polish lady, and was tied naked to a wild horse that carried him to Ukraine. There, he was released by the Cossack, which later made him Hetman. The work premiered at the Court Theatre in Weimar on April 16, 1854.
The composer follows Victor Hugo’s narrative, describing the hero’s journey through the vast steppes in the first movement. The string section plays the main theme, which is transformed and distorted with six strokes of the timpani that evoke the
fall of the rider. After a silence, strings, bassoon and horn soloists express astonishment as the injured man is raised by the trumpets at Allegro Marziale. Mazeppa and his cossacks are placed in front of the army (a march is heard) and the return of the hero’s theme signifies his end in glory.”

Daniil Trifonov Mazeppa

Man Daniil is craazy!

I double dare all of you to listen!
When Chopin died, Liszt lost a close friend. In the Consolation No. 3 we get to hear a more sentimental side of Liszt.

vs

Liszt honored his friend.

Homework: I realised that we talked about the two romantic composers Liszt and Chopin but I barely gave you anything to Listen to from Liszt.
Just like with Rachmaninoff find at least one piece you’d like to learn and write what you like about!

Easiest Liszt Repertoire:

Etude Collections:

Paysage, Etude no. 3 from Transcendental Etudes (Henle 6, around RCM 10)

Etude no. 4 from Twelve Etudes (RCM 8)

Years of Pilgrimage (these were Liszt’s impressions of Switzerland!)

Pilgrimage book 3: Angelus! Priere aux anges gardiens (Henle 4)

Pilgrimage book 2: Il penseroso (Henle 4/5)

Pilgrimage book 3: Marche funebre (Henle 5)

Pilgrimage book 1: Pastorale (Henle 5/6)

Pilgrimage book 1: Le mal du pays (Henle 5/6)

Pilgrimage book 2: Canzonetta del Salvator Rosa (Henle 5/6)

Pilgrimage book 3: Aux Cypres de la Villa d’Este 1 and 2 (Henle 5/6)

Pilgrimage book 3: Sunt lacrymae rerum en mode hongrois (Henle 5/6)

Consolations:

Consolation no. 1 (RCM 8; Henle 4)

Consolation no.3 (RCM 10; Henle 4/5) - most popular consolation

Little Piano Pieces:

Little Piano Pieces, S.192 (around a grade 7-8 level; probably Henle 3/4)
*These might be Liszt’s easiest pieces to get into.

Valse Oubliees:

Valse Oubilee no. 1 (grade 10 RCM) This is the easiest and most popular one

Harmonies poetiques et religieuses, S. 173
Pater noster (Henle 4)
Ave Maria (Henle 5)
Hymne de l’enfant a son reveil (henle 5/6)

Other Miscellaneous Works:
Nuages gris S. 199 (around grade 7, or Henle 3/4
Abschied (Farewell, S.251) - around grade 7, or Henle 3/4

Summar of Liszt’s Easiest Pieces: from easiest to most difficult
Nuages gris S. 199 (around grade 7, or Henle 3/4)

Abschied (Farewell, S.251) - around grade 7, or Henle 3/4

Little Piano Pieces, S.192 (around a grade 7-8 level; probably Henle 3/4)
Pilgrimage book 3: Angelus! Priere aux anges gardiens (Henle 4)

Consolation no. 1 (RCM 8; Henle 4)

Pater noster (Henle 4)

Pilgrimage book 2: Il penseroso (Henle 4/5)

Pilgrimage book 3: Marche funebre (Henle 5)

Ave Maria (Henle 5)

1 Like