Weekly Lesson Plan for Beginners, Weeks 1-3

When you’re studying piano on your own it can be hard to know what to do, so I thought I’d write up a sample plan of weekly lessons based on how I’ve been learning over my first year of piano. This is by no means the only path you can take, but if you’re struggling with direction perhaps this can give you some direction.

The suggested pieces here are from the method book that I use, Alfred’s Basic Adult Piano Course; Lesson Book Level 1

If anyone using another method book would like to suggest pieces from it I’d be happy to add those in as an alternate study plan :blush:

WEEK ONE

Andrew’s Videos: Try to watch these two videos a couple times over the week

How to play piano: The basics, Piano Lesson #1:
Very basics of piano, finger numbers, names of keys, C major scale, finger tuck, (song) Twinkle little star.

#1 LEARN FREE MUSIC THEORY
Intro to the series, staff, bar lines, double bar lines, basic clefs, the grand staff.

Make sure to do the theory homework! :slight_smile: :smiley:

Method Book: Spend 5-10 minutes playing through these, once or twice a day

Alfred’s Basic Adult Piano Course; Lesson Book Level 1
Pages 8-9, “Right Hand Warm Up” and “Ode to Joy”
Pages 10-11, “Left Hand Warm UP” and “Aura Lee”

Before you play the pieces, clap out the rhythm, counting aloud.
As you play these pieces, say out loud the letter names and finger numbers.

WEEK TWO

How to play piano: Lesson #2
Whole tones & Semi tones, Major scale TTSTTTS, Sharps and Flats, G major scale, Definition of Octave, Intervals.

#2 LEARN FREE MUSIC THEORY
Notes on the grand staff, (treble clef lines and spaces, bass clef lines and spaces, plus 3 ledger lines) This helps you learn to read sheet music.

Make sure to do the theory homework! :smiley:

Method Book: Spend 5-10 minutes playing through these, once or twice a day
Pages 12-14: “Playing On The Grand Staff,” “Rock Along,” “Mexican Hat Dance,” “Au Claire De La Lune” & “Tisket, A Tasket.”

Before you play the pieces, clap out the rhythm, counting aloud. And count out the rhythm as you play the notes.

WEEK THREE

How to play piano: Lesson #3
Triads, Inversions, Tonic and Dominate, 4 note Chords, Solid and Broken Chords, D major, A little extra talking about Sharps and Flats.

#3 LEARN FREE MUSIC THEORY
Different types of note names and values, stem direction.

Method Book: Spend 10-15 minutes playing through these, once or twice a day
Pages 15-16: “Rockin’ Intervals,” “Good King Wenceslas” & “My Fifth”
Page 17: “Jingle Bells” Play hands separately for a few days, then for the rest of the week work on playing both hands together.

WEEK FOUR